26 February 2018

The Worst Rule in Magic Today - and How to Fix It


This past Sunday, I played the Hunter Burton Memorial Open. I was looking forward to playing this wonderful event for quite some time. The recent unbannings of Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Bloodbraid Elf added to the anticipation. Despite playing ten rounds of a fresh Modern format, hanging out with friends all day, and winning $100, I came away with a bad taste in my mouth. Unlike other times I’ve been cheated in the past, the sting isn’t dissipating as time goes on. The more I think on it, the angrier I’m getting.

What Happened

After I won game one against Human Aggro, my opponent started game two with Unclaimed Territory into Aether Vial. His turn two play was Seachrome Coast, Vial in Champion of the Parish, cast Kitesail Freebooter. His turn three play was to deploy two Meddling Mage naming the cards he saw in my hand with Freebooter. At this point I noticed he had three cards in hand, along with seven permanents in play. Ten total cards on turn three, having played first. So an extra card appeared somewhere in three turns. Either he started with eight, drew an additional on turn two or three, or had an Aether Vial in his lap or something.

My opponent was a player who I know has been disqualified in the past. When I called a judge to ask a question away from the table, the first thing I told the judge was “My opponent has a history of being disqualified, I think my opponent is cheating, he has an extra card in his hand.” The details of the rest of the investigation don’t really matter to this because I knew despite my best effort to clue the judges in and actually catching him in the act of cheating, they would be mostly powerless to do anything.

By the end of the judge call, the head judge had determined that there was indeed an extra card in his hand, and no one could explain how it got there. The remedy was to have me look at his hand and shuffle a card back into his deck (I will call this the “Thoughtseize Solution” for the rest of the article). I chose a card, he shuffled it into his library. I continued the game but being unable to play the spells in my hand, I was dead in another turn.

The Worst Rule in Magic Today

The current penalty for drawing extra cards is covered in the Magic IPG under Hidden Card Error. The penalty is a Warning with an additional remedy that “If a set affected by the error contains more cards than it is supposed to contain, the player reveals the set of cards that contains the excess and his or her opponent chooses a number of previously-unknown cards sufficient to reduce the set to the correct size. These excess cards are returned to the correct location.” I believe in most cases this remedy is simple enough and corrective enough to be fine. The Hidden Card Error lists six examples:

A. A player draws four cards after casting Ancestral Recall.
B. A player scries two cards when he should only have scried one.
C. A player resolves a Dark Confidant trigger, but forgets to reveal the card before putting it into her hand.
D. A player has more cards in his hand than can be accounted for.
E. A player casts Anticipate and picks up the top four cards of her library.
F. A player, going first, draws for his turn.

One of these things is not like the others. Examples A,B,C,E,F are things that can happen due to brain farts, dexterity errors, or sticky sleeves. Option D by comparison is much more suspicious. We don’t know where this card came from, but we are okay with that? All my opponent had to say to avoid further penalty was “I don’t know how this got here.”

Without getting too much into Uncle Ty’s Old Timey Magic Stories, this penalty wasn’t always this way. The “Thoughtseize Solution” was only implemented in 2015. Prior to that, Drawing Extra Cards had its own entry in the IPG with a penalty of Game Loss (with some situations for downgrades).

The powers that be do a great job writing the IPG and keeping it up to date for an ever evolving game. They have priorities of ensuring a fun experience for everyone that plays. As a competitive player, I understand that my focus (or paranoia) about cheaters is not shared by those at the DCI, so we may disagree fundamentally about the philosophy behind this penalty. Still, I think with regards to example D, they are way off base.

A Confusing and Contradictory Philosophy

The IPG exists to provide a reliable consistent response to common situations. When you implement the “Thoughtseize Solution”, it is anything but reliable or consistent. At one extreme, the removal of a key card can make a game lost on the spot. In other situations, the card removed might not matter at all (as in my situation). And when it comes to Example D, we can’t even be certain the extra card is in the zone  we think it is.

The philosophy behind this remedy says “Though the game state cannot be reversed to the ‘correct’ state, this error can be mitigated by giving the opponent sufficient knowledge and ability to offset the error so that it is less likely to generate advantage” (my bold for emphasis). They are acknowledging the rule can generate an advantage, and they seem to be okay with that. They know they can write the IPG to prevent advantage generation (because it worked this way before), but they choose not to. They are okay with you getting a “feel bad” when you get cheated if that means you don’t get a “feel bad” when you make a mistake.

An Oversight of Incentives

As the rule is currently written, the player has no incentive to report a discovery of a mysterious extra card. The penalty will be a “Thoughtseize” the turn he catches it, and it will still be a “Thoughtseize” five turns later when the opponent happens to catch it. Obviously, knowingly hiding it is cheating, but as you can see by now this is next to impossible to prove, or even consider it possible. Good Magic players will know the advantage of waiting as long as possible to get the best option.

Through all those years and events, I’ve accidentally drawn seven cards after a mulligan, I’ve had sleeves stick together when casting Ponder, and I’ve eagerly untapped and drawn a card when I thought my opponent had said “Go” when really nothing had been said at all. But I’ve never had a situation where I had a mysterious card appear in the count on my side of the board. The current penalty does nothing except protect cheaters.

My Suggestion

I think the rule should be changed to have a separate penalty when there is no known source of the extra card. Example D should have a penalty of a Game Loss, with a possibility to downgrade if self-reported.

Let’s Discuss 

At the event, I had a conversation with a level three judge whom I respect a great deal about my concerns, including much of what I've said here. He dealt with my frustration at the time (which has only increased in the past twenty-four hours) and heard me out. He too had an experience similar to mine that had him questioning the way the penalty was written. If you are also concerned with not being cheated at your next event, share this post and have these conversations with other players and judges in your community.

Thanks for reading,
Ty

6 comments:

Ben said...

Ty,

The issue with a game loss for situation D is that it allows an exploitation. If I start my turn and "forget" to draw a card, then it will appear as though my opponent has drawn an extra card. I can hide the fact that I didn't draw by stopping on my upkeep and asking for an oracle text from a judge, ask an opponent how much energy he has or how big his goyf is, ask for his graveyard... etc.

Ty said...

This is easy to disprove by just knowing what turn it is. In early turns when DEC is most exploitable it is fairly easy to recreate the turn by turn sequence of the game for players that pay attention. A cheater can draw extra cards many times per event and get away with it, the skipped draw probably not going to work a second time. Which one would you rather prevent?

Niels said...

This does not work as it invites the opponent not to call a judge when he sees an extra card is being drawn, since he knows that if he waits long enough it will be a game loss. This is exactly the reason it is in there with the rest.

Unknown said...

Why would you write the rules to protect the player who drew an extra card instead of the one who made no "mistake"?

Lancasta said...

I don't own an account on this format so I apologize for anonymity. It might seem weird to apologize for such a thing but as a Judge myself I prefer to own my words. I actually found this post through a Facebook judge forum so if nothing else it has been shared around the community!

Of course I agree the judge handled the situation appropriately as we ourselves are subject to rules, but neither here nor there I had a comment to make that could be of use to you as a player. I want to iterate here is in no way a negative response as I seek only to construct.

Comment a) The best solution to your problem in larger events as the rules are written now is to be more aware of the game currently happening. The "Thoughtseize" solution works best for you as the card selector the more cards your opponent has in hand. Let me run by how much this matters in this scenario with a few examples.

Example A: In this example you have perfect perception (Which I in no way expect from any player it merely serves as a comparable aspect). The player was in fact cheating, turn one he drops a land and attempts to cast Aether Vial which he previously added from his lap to his hand. At this point you inspect his hand and notice 6 cards remain, you counted his original hand draw as mulligans resolved and 7 was the number. A judge is called and aside you mention all of the information gathered which now includes: Without drawing my opponent added an 8th card to his hand. This cannot be taken lightly, at worst (for you) the head judge is called over to rewind the gamestate and resolve the "thoughtseize". You choose Aether Vial (I assume) and the game goes incredibly different for you. I of course can't speak for the judges handing out a cheating violation but the evidence against the opponent is incredible at this point and I could see logic walking that direction (Especially if the opponent has a history, as at worst they should be the utmost of aware of their own cards having been penalized for it previous).

Example B: Your awareness of this game is slightly less than perfect, you notice as the opponent plays there turn two, at this point its within reason to say he could've drawn an extra card for turn without intention. Again at your request the head judge could be called to rewind to before cards are played and you can select perhaps the Kitesail Freebooter to prevent your hand from becoming known and the game moves forward with an incredibly different tempo. One you are probably less upset about.

Example C: Same turn you called the judge in actuality, but before he resolves both meddling mages (Which I assume he resolved the first before vialing in the second or vice versa), you take the second mage and have a playable spell still. Your still in a bad spot but better than the alternative.

TLDR: By noticing only in the final moment of the game that your opponent had used an extra card you limited the response the judges could give you to sway things for your benefit. Being more aware in the future could (but not guaranteed) increase your odds of the current system working incredibly in your favor. This kind of attention is also your best defense against cheaters as they will always prey on those unwilling to call a judge or turn their focus away from the game.

I hope I in some way helped (I did my best). Good luck in all your future events! And always speak your mind about the rules and how they work/or don't for you! We Are Listening.

Unknown said...

Fixing those rules from the worst to very good and prominent way of approaching the magic which is really amazing and impressive to get gathered within it. Thanks a lot for the sharing. Best Indian Magicians | Entertainment Magic Show in Coimbatore