22 April 2014

Old PTQ Reports

I found a couple of my old PTQ reports hiding on the internet archive. I'm reposting them here as an interesting look back in time. The first comes from a pre-banning extended ptq in 2003 (right after PT Tinker) that I played in New Orleans. Enjoy!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


'Twas the night before Christmas when I realized I had gone a week without playing Magic. This was very odd, and it didn't look like i would be able to play until the Friday night draft. What to my wondering eye should appear? An email from my buddy Justin Hohenstein. It seems that some of the crew were going to make the trip to Louisiana and play in the last PTQ where all the brokeness was legal. I sent a reply saying I would go if I was back from the family trip to Dallas.

I returned Thursday evening, so then on Friday I had to find a deck to play. I toyed with the idea of playing the mono-blue Nether-Go deck like we played last year, but I was soon persuaded to play Red Deck Wins. Unfortunately, Michael Musser was out of town and I couldn't borrow cards. I made a few calls and soon had the cards for this list:

4 Jackal Pup
4 Slith Firewalker
4 Grim Lavamancer
4 Blistering Firecat
4 Volcanic Hammer
4 Firebolt
4 Seal of Fire
4 Pillage
4 Tangle Wire
4 Chrome Mox
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Bloodstained Mire
6 Mountain
4 Rishadan Port
4 Wasteland

Sideboard:
1 Forest
4 Naturalize
4 Lava Dart
3 Sulfuric Vortex
2 Psychogenic Probe
1 Rack and Ruin

The maindeck is pretty standard, and probably perfect given the expected metagame. The sideboard is pretty janky because I had a limited card pool. Naturalize is to bring in against decks that want you to Chill out, Lava Dart is my favorite burn spell so I had to play 4, though 2 or 3 is probably right. I played Vortex because I didn't have access to Cursed Scrolls, but it gave me something to bring in against the rock or dump truck decks, as well as when scroll would normally come in. The probes were there for Twiddle-Desire, so they were pretty useless.

The metagame was really odd considering that this was the last time people could play decks with Tinker, Monolith, and such. (As an aside about the bannings, I feel most everything was covered, though I still think Chrome Mox, Mind's Desire, and Mana Severance should have been on the list as well. See my last article.) There were maybe 4 Tinker decks, 2 of those the Welder version, and 1 a crazy white version with Enlightened Tutor and Leonin Abunas played by Taylor Williams, who was in my car on the ride over. There was no Twiddle-Desire, Angry Hermit, or Oath at all. The rest of the field was RDW, Psychatog, and the Rock, as well as the above average amount of rogue decks, because this was Baton Rouge. There was also 5 or 6 people playing Dump Truck.

Round 1 - Jackson Price - Psychatog

Game 1 he gets a turn 1 scepter on fire/ice, and then has the mana leak for both of my pillages even though he was stuck on 1 land and a mox. My continuous drawing of the mana sources did not help. Game 2 I force through a vortex, and when he is at 11 I cast a morph. He has scepter on counterspell, but only 3 land open. He brainstorms in response, then says that it resolves. He had no red mana open, so he could be trying to ice or edict my firecat. I think about it and call his bluff (he may have just forgot to counter it) and he had nothing and took 7. 2 turns later vortex did him in. Game three my early beats don't look to be enough when he gets 2 togs out, but he can't get lethal damage fast enough, and is one point short when I attack for the win. He double blocks my jackal pup, and pumps his tog so that i will die. I explain that my firecat kills him first before the ability triggers, and I start my day with a match win.
2-1
1-0

Round 2 - Teddy Morrow - The Rock

This guy stayed in our room at regionals this past year, so i wasn't completely unfamiliar with him. Game 1 I play a turn 1 slith with 2 moxes because i had no red lands. All that i had left in hand was a wasteland and a port, but after I topdeck tangle wire, he dies while only casting 2 spells. Game 2 was much the same, as a few wastelands and ports keep him from casting anything more than 3cc stuff. There wasn't much he could do either game. When I turn in the result slip, I see that I am the first one done. I like this deck!
2-0
2-0

Round 3 - Ronnie Jones - Psychatog

Ronnie is from Dallas, and I know from playing him at states he's a pretty good player. Game 1 wasn't that interesting, as I get him to 2 before he kills me. Game 2 is only interesting because I forced through a turn 3 vortex, but he wishes for boomerang right before he dies and kills me. I am not sure who is favored in this matchup.
0-2
2-1

Round 4 - Carlos Moreno - Tinker Stax

At the beginning of the match he complains when I pile shuffle his deck, and asks a judge to shuffle my deck. I feel this is kind of insulting, especially considering he was using transparent sleaves and had several cards that were beat up and easily distinguishable in his deck, so I tell the judge and get him to change sleaves. Game 1 he draws 4 Welders, and I draw 3 Tangle Wires to keep them from doing anything. Game 2 I lose to Platinum Angel - Lightning Greaves, and I realize I need to board in my lava darts to kill his welders. Game 3 I destroy his first 3 or so artifacts and we both end up in topdeck mode. He gets a Masticore out, but then I draw Naturalize and am able to use it when he attempts to untap his monolith end of my turn, leaving only 1 mana open to regenerate. Then he draws Bosh, but I top deck once again with Pillage. Soon a couple of Lavamancers take him down. After the match we both apologize about the pre-match shenanigans, and return to friendly terms ! later on in the day when we play a few games for fun. So the lesson is when you make someone spend ten dollars on new sleaves, try to at least act like you are sorry. Or something like that.
2-1
3-1

Round 5 - Devin Manuel - The Rock

He cast a total of 2 spells the entire match. Game 1 he didn't draw a green source until really late, and I had drawn all 4 of my ports. Game 2 is fairly similar as he is discarding cards from his hand due to lack of mana on turn 5. This lets my creatures do whatever they want, and they want to kill him.
2-0
4-1

Round 6 - Joseph Falcon - The Rock

I check the standings because my travel buddies want me to play so they could have a chance at 4-2, but I don't think either of them will make it, and I would much rather have the Rock be one of my opponents in the top 8 than either of their decks, so we ID.
ID
4-1-1

Quarter Finals - Adam Case - Monogreen Beatdown

I am the 6th seed in the top 8, so I get to play the Mono Green beatdown deck. I am worried about this matchup because he has Nimble Mongoose and Troll Ascetics. Game 1 I kill his early mongrel with a hammer, and then get a Tangle Wire to resolve. This clears ths way for my Slith Firewalker who gets to be a 4/4 by the time he can cast his troll. He doesn't have regeneration mana so he has to chump. Game 2 i draw all 4 Jackal Pups, but his 2 Trolls let him stabalize. He can never attack though without me killing him on my turn. At some point he looks to plow under 2 of my 4 mountains to buy some time. I use the 2 lava darts in my hand and then flash them both back to keep from getting time walk twice. 2 turns later i draw the 2nd seal of fire i need to kill him.

Semifinals - Jason Tate - Dump Truck

I played against Jason last time I was in Baton Rouge for a qualifier when he beat me in the Astral Slide mirror. This time we are playing decks that aren't boring to play. Playing first game 1 I mulligan to a 6 card hand with 2 pups, Slith, but only 1 mountain. The other 2 cards were firecats. I keep hoping to draw some land, but all i get is a wasteland before he vindicates my only red source and i die. Game 2 he draws 3 chills, but I had the naturalize for 2 of them, and then I can cast what I want fairly easily. Game 3 he gets turn 1, 2, and 3 chill, and then follows it up with triple vindicate. I only drew 1 naturalize, and soon my only green source was gone.

So I lost in the semifinals of a constructed PTQ again. This time it wasn't due to a huge play mistake on my part, though it may have been because of a mulliganing mistake Game 1. I did have a good time which always seems to happen when you do fairly well. Maybe I can win the next one in Houston. Maybe not.



No comments: