09 November 2017

RPTQ Prep Part 2

This was actually done before part 1, but just a copy paste of text I posted in group slack.

4-1 a league with GW with some spicy test cards

beat Merfolk 2-0, g1 drew enough paths and had GQ to stop his spreading seas from killing me
g2 got him with stony silence + rec sage on relic + ghostly prison after he drew two vial on the play

beat elves 2-1, game 1 had mindcensor to stop his chord, then GQ his white mana to keep him off druid vizier combo, had dunes + excavator but no azusa, had to use paths on archdruids to keep him from attacking, was slowing getting his mana down when he coco into vizer ezuri and I die on the spot. game 2 was similar, he had mindcensor when i activate KotR but I hit anyway and he didn't have enough gas. game 3 he kept clunk hand with mindcensor but i soul read him for it so i only fetch when I have path up, then I get him with Linvala.

beat robots 2-1, game 1 he had 2 memnite 3 pest 1 ornithopter, had a chance with mindcensor blocks + dunes, but he also had overseer and I was too far behind. game 2 I got him realllllll good with Dromoka's Command, he was 1 point off from infect turn prior so i took just 4, next turn I reveal path on top library with courser so he attacks pest inkmoth inkmoth with ravager in play, I just block pest with birds, he sacs just 1 guy to ravager and moves to inkmoth, i command to pump birds and have courser fight the inkmoth. once i draw path and i'm at high enough life to not worry.
game 3 was close he almost burn me out with 2x blast but didn't have metalcraft on one of them and stony silence + gq kept his army from swinging

round 4 vs BW tokens, just looped canopy + excavator 6+ times each game and was so far ahead even b2b topdeck damnation (is this real life) wasn't enough to get him back in it. also had primal hunter show up and draw 5 cards with kotr

round 5 vs tron, real close both games, had a GQ to delay the tron a few turns, had some reasonable pressure, but he recovered to find tron and had the Ugin (they always have the Ugin) when any other card wasn't good enough,

Mindcensor was just fine, it wasn't enough to stop Tron though maybe if the cards lined up better it could have, it did solid work vs Elves and is reasonable with GQ but wasn't so great that playing 3 was worth it.

dunes was surprisingly great, used it to pick off lingering souls tokens, random elves, and reasonable insurance vs etched champion, def should have 1 in 75 if only playing 2 colors
I didn't miss Tireless Tracker, as I suspected extra Canopy with excavator was enough to grind
also didn't miss Scavenging Ooze, though deck is bordering on not having enough 1 and 2 drops

Ghostly Prison did what I wanted it to do, not sure if its needed
Linvala still great, Stony Silence still great, Dromokas Command still solid
Didn't bring in Intervention so its still a question mark in my mind
Primal Hunter was as good as I hoped, but no better than that, and likley isn't as strong vs other grindy decks and the slot is tight
obv didn't get to test eidolon

No comments: